Tuesday, August 16, 2011

and so it begins

So for the past 2 and a half months, I've been living in Mozambique, eating mozambican food, taking bucket baths, and hand washing my clothes among other things...but I have yet to know what it's like to really be a Peace Corps Volunteer. Tomorrow I will leave Nampula and all of the other volunteers. Tomorrow I will start speaking Portuguese all day, everyday. Tomorrow my service officially begins! Obviously, I'm ridiculously nervous but also very excited.
Yesterday I met my counterpart, Edmundo, for the first time. He is a very nice man and I think we are going to work very well together.He is from Maputo but living in Monapo in order to work for SCIP: Monapo. During the conference, we discussed the expectations we have for one another and I learned a lot more about the work of SCIP (Strengthening Communities through Integration Project). I think I hit the jackpot as far as Peace Corps jobs go! But I still have a lot more information to find out so more details to come :-)
Edmundo and I are leaving Hotel Milenio tomorrow morning for Monapo, where he'll help me settle in to my new home. The MOZ 14 volunteer I'm replacing is not leaving Moz until November and unfortunately her home (which will eventually be my home) is too small for the 2 of us. So, I'll be living with 3 nuns in Monapo until November! Apparently they are from India, Indonesia, and the Phillipines! Although I was really looking forward to living on my own, I am so excited for this experience. I'm just hoping they don't feed me too much because I definitely need to start losing the 10-15 lbs I gained during PST!
Hopefully, I'll be able to blog again soon to update on my living situation. Let's keep our fingers crossed for internet/wireless availability in Monapo!

No comments:

Post a Comment