Saturday, July 30, 2011

2 months down, 25 more to go

Hard to believe 2 months have passed already, but we are ending week 8 and only have 13 more days in Namaaha!

My birthday was on Monday and I got to wear a special birthday hat thanks to a fellow trainee, Jasmin. I was also sung to twice- once in Portuguese then again in English! It was definitely strange having school on my birthday. It was also strange to be in cold weather on my birthday. It got even colder on Tuesday and Wednesday. Apparently this is the coldest winter Mozambique has had for 60 years! On Tuesday I ate lunch inside of our little kitchen (which is outside, separate from our house) with my mom, Pedro, and Castro. I taught Pedro a trick my grandpa, Boppy, used to always do where you put your two fingers around someone's nose and pull as if you're pulling their nose off of their face. Then you slide your thumb in between your fingers as if it was their nose. He thought it was the funniest thing in the world! After classes we all stayed inside the house, huddled around the charcoal fire. My mom even cooked dinner inside! It was very cozy. The kids are on break from school right now so Atalia and Aninya went to Maputo on Monday to visit their aunt and aren't coming back until this Friday. I miss them!

Other than school, we have been busy preparing for the homestay celebration and swear-in ceremony. I am getting a dress and skirt made at a modista (tailor/seamstress) in Namaacha out of capulanas. The dress is being made from a capulana that all of the trainees have for swear-in. Most of the girls are getting dresses or skirts made and the boys shirts or ties. We are going to look so nice in our matching capulana patterns!

We're also preparing a song to perform at both the homestay party and swear-in. We are singing Edward Sharp's "Home" acapella with different groups of people being different instruments and singing. It is going to sound amazing! I'm hoping someone can tape it and post it on youtube or facebook so you all can see. More details to come...

This morning we went to see a traditional doctor. It was really cool seeing the traditional plants and techniques that he uses to treat people. Reminded me a lot of my experience in Ecuador. However, the traditional doctors here are much more concerned with spirits and ancestors, so a lot of their work focuses on cleansing people of bad spirits or ancestors and bad luck. Still really interesting and even though it may not have a scientific basis it definitely works wonders, mentally, for the people who believe in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment